|What is Mold?|
This page contains educational material about Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome due to a water damaged building (CIRS). This is a biotoxin illness that is caused by mold and the interaction between mold, bacteria and chemicals used in building materials. Other biotoxin illnesses have similar signs and symptoms. They are also treated similarly. Some of them are discussed on this site. This information is for educational purposes only.. Nothing in this text is intended to serve as medical advice. All medical decisions should be made only with the guidance of your own personal medical authority. I am doing my best to get this data up quickly and correctly. If you find errors in this data, please let me know.
Molds are a type of fungi. They are multicellular and grow in filamentous hyphae (long thread-like branches). Networks of these hyphae form a mycelium which is considered a single organism. They produce airborne spores. They break down organic waste and are therefore an important part of natures recycling system. They cannot photosynthesize and just like humans they rely on organic matter for nutrition.
Mold can grow on virtually any organic material as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that grow on wood, paper, carpet, food, and insulation. Because mold eats or digests what it is growing on, it can damage a building and its furnishings. If left unchecked, mold eventually can cause structural damage to building materials.
They reproduce using both sexual and asexual methods. Molds may produce mycotoxins which can be harmful to our health as well as our animal's health.
Yeast is not mold: Yeast is also a type of fungi but it is not a mold. They are single celled microscopic fungi with an oval shape. They reproduce by mitosis (budding). There are different types of yeast such as Saccharomyces in wine and beer or Candida albicans (can bud and also grow via hyphae as well as make chlamydospores) which creates opportunitic infections in humans and animals. Candida and other yeasts, like molds may produce toxins which can be harmful to humans and animals.
"Mold Illness" is a biotoxin illness caused by exposure to a water-damaged building. Mycotoxins are a subset of biotoxins. There are other biotoxins besides mycotoxins that can cause a similar disease symptomology as mycotoxins do.
Water-damaged buildings harbor a variety of toxins and mycotoxins are a major part of the toxins. We talk about this illness as a "mold" illness but it really involves mold, bacteria and chemicals from building materials. So, when we talk about mold illness, know that it is really a mix of mold, bacteria and chemical toxins.
Dr. Shoemaker has been instrumental not only in identifying this illness, but also in creating a biotoxin pathway model and a treatment protocol. He has paved the way for many of us to understand mycotoxin illness and coined the term Chronic Inflammatory Response Sydnrome (CIRS).
If you found this information helpful, I would appreciate your support in keeping the site going. If you would like to donate to my work, I thank you in advance and send you my deep felt gratitude.